· By Soar Organics
Iced Hojicha Latte with Spiced Coconut Whip
It’s finally here - our new Hojicha Powder!
Hojicha is a traditional roasted Japanese green tea commonly enjoyed in steeped form. Our hojicha tea leaves are specially roasted before being ground into a fine powder. The roasting process at a high temperature alters the colour of hojicha tea from green to a warm brown. You can expect a robust, nutty and toasty flavour profile from hojicha.
One of the many attractive characteristics of hojicha is its low caffeine content. Hojicha is commonly enjoyed in the evening or to “refresh the palette” after a meal. This delightful powder also boasts a rich, warm and inviting aroma. Hojicha is potent with pyrazines, making it the perfect tea for colder weather.
This festive Iced Hojicha Latte with Spiced Coconut Whip will surprise you with its caramel-like, yet robust taste. The coconut whip adds the perfect amount of sweetness without taking away from the comforting aroma of the hojicha.
Scroll down for our take on a delicious winter hojicha latte recipe!
- 1/4 cup Hot Water for whisking
- 1 tsp. Soar Organics Hojicha Powder
- 1 cup Plant Milk of your choice
- 1/2 tbsp. Organic Coconut Sugar
- Handful of Ice
- 1 can chilled, Full Fat Coconut Cream
- 1/4 cup Organic Icing Sugar (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. Organic Cardamom
- 1/4 tsp. Organic Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. Organic Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
Sugar Rim (optional):
- Maple syrup
- Organic Coconut Sugar
- Dash of equal parts Cardamom, Nutmeg and Cinnamon
- Begin by chilling your full fat coconut cream in the fridge overnight.
- In a mixing bowl, gently scoop out your coconut cream. Set aside any remaining coconut water, to be used later.
- With an electric mixer, beat the coconut cream for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add in the remaining coconut water as needed to lighten up the whip.
- Add in your icing sugar and spices. Beat for an additional 30 seconds or until soft peaks form.
- Set aside in the fridge to chill.
- Next, heat water to 175°F/80°C and add your hojicha powder to a chawan or bowl.
- Pour in 1/4 cup water and whisk well - the same you would with matcha in “M” motions.
- IF adding a sugar rim to your glass, do this step now before adding in your latte mixture. Flip upside down and dip your glass into a shallow layer of maple syrup. Mix together coconut sugar and equal parts spices, and then dip into your spice mixture.
- Now it’s time to assemble your latte. Add in your whisked hojicha and stir in coconut sugar. Next, add ice and plant milk
- Finally, top with a dollop of your chilled coconut whip and enjoy!